The National Academy of Public Accounting Professionals (NAPAP) has selected Jeffrey Olson, CPA, of Babush, Neiman, Kornman & Johnson, LLP in Atlanta as one of the 2015 "Top 10 Public Accounting Professionals" in Georgia. Click here for details.
BNKJ is pleased to provide you with our 2015/2016 Online Tax Planning Guide. Our guide will highlight and explain significant tax reform, and will be updated as tax laws change throughout the year. We hope this guide will serve as a resource to you, and encourage you to call us with any questions.
Thank you Gregory Miller, Chief Economist at SunTrust Bank, for sharing your insights with us recently about the Georgia, US and worldwide economy. To see Gregory’s notes from our meeting, click here.
BNKJ Partner Howard Neiman presents the BNKJ Kennesaw State University School of Accountancy scholarship to this year’s recipient. Congratulations to all the scholarship recipients!
BNKJ Announces 50 Weeks of Giving
In celebration and commemoration of the firm’s 50 years in business, BNKJ is proud to announce its 50 Weeks of Giving Campaign, created to give back to the community the firm has been servicing for half a century.
BNKJ is planning to highlight – week by week – charities to receive a donation from the firm, as well as a radio spot to highlight the charity on WABE NPR Radio, 90.1 FM.
We were touched by the thoughtful Sandy Springs Conservancy board thank you photo we received in response to SSC being selected as a 50 weeks of giving recipient. Kudos to this amazing group of
The most current recipients of our 50 Weeks of Giving Campaign are as follows:
- Camp Twin Lakes, providing life-changing experiences to children with serious illnesses, disabilities and other challenges. http://www.camptwinlakes.org/
- Atlanta Children’s Shelter, guiding homeless families to independence through social services and emotional support. http://www.acsatl.org/
- Community Assistance Center, stabilizing our community by meeting basic human needs such as food, shelter, clothing and financial assistance. http://www.ourcac.org/
- Wounded Warriors, honoring and empowering our nation’s wounded warriors, veterans and injured service members. http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
- Zaban Couples Center, helping homeless couples resettle and gain independence by providing basic necessities and counseling. http://www.zabancouplescenter.org/
- Kennesaw State University Foundation, which helps students in need of education and who have experienced hardship in their lives.
- The Cottage School, helping children with special learning needs through academic and experiential programming. http://www.cottageschool.org/
- Atlanta Group Home, which focuses on helping children with disabilities in our community. WEBSITE IN PROGRESS.
- Act 3 Productions, providing opportunities to performers of all ages and income levels to display their talents and artistic creations. http://www.act3productions.org/
- Sandy Springs Society, making worthwhile contributions in the form of grants to other not for profit organizations that go toward funding special community projects, particularly those focused on social services, education, heritage and the environment. http://www.sandyspringssociety.org/
- Fraser Center, providing an inclusive community where people at all levels of ability and disability can gather, learn and flourish together. http://www.frazercenter.org/
- Mary Hall Freedom House, helping women and women with children break the cycle of addiction, poverty and homelessness. http://maryhallfreedomhouse.org/
- American Cancer Society, helping people get well, stay well, find cures and fight back against cancer. http://www.cancer.org/
- Angel Flight Soars, arranging free air transportation for people who need to travel to receive lifesaving medical treatment, but lack the means. http://www.angelflightsoars.org/
- Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta, dedicated to making kids better today and healthier tomorrow. http://www.choa.org/
- Leadership Sandy Springs, developing and connecting people to lead and help create a better Sandy Springs. www.leadershipsandysprings.org
- CURE Childhood Cancer, conquering childhood cancer by funding targeted research. http://www.curechildhoodcancer.org/
- ALS Association of Georgia, fighting Lou Gehrig’s Disease through research, care services, public education and public policy. http://webga.alsa.org/site/PageServer?pagename=GA_homepage
- Heritage Sandy Springs, building community through preserving and promoting the historic and cultural identity of Sandy Springs. www.heritagesandysprings.org
- Center for Puppetry Arts, providing educational experiences that encourage creativity and provide accessible, hands-on opportunities to participate in artistic activities. http://www.puppet.org/
- Jewish Federation of Greater Atlanta, providing creating opportunities to build a strong community and better life for Jews at home, in Israel and throughout the world. http://www.jewishatlanta.org/
- Good Samaritan Health Center of Cobb, providing medical, dental, prescription and select social services for patients at or below 200 percent of the federal poverty line and without access to care. www.goodsamcobb.org
- Sandy Springs Conservancy, dedicated to preserving and protecting the greenspace and recreation areas of Sandy Springs. www.sandyspringsconservancy.org
- Covenant House, providing shelter and services to Atlanta’s homeless and runaway youth. http://www.covenanthousega.org/
- Sandy Springs/Perimeter Chamber of Commerce, serving as the champion for a prosperous economic environment that enriches the businesses and communities of Sandy Springs. http://www.sandyspringsperimeterchamber.com/
- Homestretch, helping homeless families in the community get back on their feet and into permanent, sustainable housing through life skills education, supportive housing, volunteer mentoring, and personalized case management. http://www.homestretch.org/
- Drake House, in providing short-term crisis housing, education and empowerment programs for homeless single mothers and their children and assisting the family in working toward housing self-sufficiency. http://thedrakehouse.org/
- Warrior2Citizen, helping veterans successfully re-enter civilian life. http://warrior2citizen.org/
- Reach for Excellence, preparing underserved middle school students for a brighter future through leadership and academic achievement. http://reachforexcellence.org/
- Operation Smile, improving the health and lives of children by providing surgeries for children born with cleft lip, cleft palate and other facial deformities. http://www.operationsmile.org/
- Sandy Springs Education Force, helping disadvantaged public school students excel, finish high school, get good jobs and lead successful lives. sandyspringseducationforce.org
- North Fulton Community Charities, building self-sufficiency and preventing homelessness and hunger in our community. NFCCHELP.ORG
- Act 3 Arts Academy— enriching the arts community by providing opportunities to performers of all ages and incomes to display their talents and artistic creations. act3productions.org
- Live Learn Lead, an evening of education on February 25, 2016 in Sandy Springs. Come here about unprecedented changed coming to our community which will transform how we live and work. LEADERSHIPSANDYSPRINGS.ORG
- Make a Wish Georgia— strengthening the mental well-being of chronically ill children and touching their lives with hope and inspiration. GEORGIA.WISH.ORG
Congratulations to these worthwhile organizations, and thank you for all you continue to do for our community and our world!
Listen to BNKJ’s 50 weeks of giving radio spots!
BNKJ’s team for the Doug Kessler 5K/10K run/walk—part of the Sandy Springs Festival which BNKJ proudly sponsored. Go team!
Here are some photos from the BNKJ Braves game
Click to see more photos
Georgia Offers Businesses Tax Incentives
to Buy Alternative Fuel Vehicles
The Georgia Legislature has taken steps to encourage the commercial sector to buy vehicles which use alternative fuel sources.
On April 4, Georgia enacted legislation H.B. 348 which provides a tax credit for heavy-duty* and medium-duty** vehicles, fueled by an alternative fuel, that are purchased on or after July 1, 2015 but before June 30, 2017. > Read More
SunTrust Bank’s Chief Economist Gregory Miller recently spoke
at the BNKJ Economic Update in Atlanta.
Click here for a copy of his presentation.
Money Saving Tip: When purchasing prescription medications at your pharmacy, ask
your pharmacist if there is a coupon available for your prescription. Often
times there are discounts available on brand name medications.
"I dream of a better tomorrow, where
chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their
Many Americans like to display their flags in the summer and
store them in the fall! Members of the West Point Band illustrate how to properly fold an American
BNKJ’s Team at the Kaiser Permanente 5K Fundraising Event at Turner Field, Fall 2013
DICK BABUSH REPRESENTS SOUTHEAST IN WASHINGTON FOR MEETING WITH TREASURY
Richard K. Babush, JD, CPA,
BNKJ’s founding partner Richard K. “Dick” Babush recently joined a small group of 10 tax professionals in Washington, DC to visit with the Assistant Secretary for Tax Policy Mark J. Mazur; former IRS Commissioner Mark W. Everson; and former Senior Counsel to the U.S. Senate Finance Committee Dean Zerbe. The goal of the meeting, organized by Alliantgroup, was to have candid, thoughtful discussions about the national Affordable Care Act and its implications and issues especially as they relate to closely held businesses.
CPAs participating in the discussion came from all over the United States, Dick representing the Southeast and other CPAs representing California, Indiana, Maryland, Massachusetts, Montana, New Jersey, New York and Ohio.
Dick and the other CPAs were able to highlight what issues they thought were important to receive guidance from Treasury, and also provided Treasury with an understanding of how they see the impact of the new law on their clients.